Make cuttings to give plants as gifts this Christmas
Urban gardening Flowers Indoor gardening DIY projects
The holiday season is fast approaching. This year, why not opt for a different and all-natural gift? Propagate a plant like a Christmas cactus by making cuttings and share it with your loved ones! Essentially, growing a plant from a cutting involves rooting a stem or branch from a healthy plant. It may sound complicated, but it’s actually a simple process. In addition, a wide variety of plants lend themselves well to the game. Here’s how:
- First fill a container with fresh potting soil, then water until it is evenly moist, but not soggy. Make sure the container has a drainage hole.
- Use a sterile knife or pruner to take a cutting from an existing plant. The stem should be about 7.5 to 13 cm long. The cutting should have leaves, but no buds or flowers. It should also have a few knots.
- Cut the stem at an angle, just below a node, then remove the buds and flowers. Then cut off the lower leaves, but keep two leaves at the top.
- Dip the cutting in rooting hormone to a depth of 2.5 cm. PRO-MIX offers STIM-ROOT rooting powder, a formula that accelerates root formation on cuttings.
- Plant the stem in moist potting soil. You can plant more than one cutting in the same container, but make sure the leaves are not touching each other. The leaves shouldn’t touch the soil either.
- Cover the container with clear plastic wrap. This will create the same conditions as in the greenhouse and promote rooting.
- Water the potting soil as needed to keep it moist. If you observe condensation on the inside of the plastic film, poke a few holes.
- Remove the plastic wrap once the cutting has rooted, which can take a few days or weeks. At this point you can plant the cutting in a slightly larger pot and treat it like a normal houseplant. Outdoor plants usually need a little longer before they are ready for transplanting.
Of course, you’ll have to plan ahead to have your gift ready in time for the holidays. But by respecting the steps above, you should get there and make many happy!